Predator

Art Print Movie Poster sold internationally

Directed by: John McTiernan

Release Date: 1987

 The Predator was released this early fall and the film brought me back to how much fun I had the first time I saw the original 1987 movie. I have yet to watch the sequels or the versus film or films. Honestly, I can't keep track. I wanted to bring it back to the eighties for a second. That has been the trend nowaways, init? Channel on Nostalgia station 24/7. Sometimes I appreciate it and most other times, I'd love some new ideas and stories.
I saw Predator in someone's garage, projected on a wall the first time. As a kid, I thought I had seen this film and I'm pretty sure my dad had recorded this film at some point on one of his many VHS film collections but I can't say I'd ever seen it until I did in that garage. It's a film that is timeless for not taking itself seriously and having the best elements of action films due to the talents of John McTiernan of Die Hard fame.

Real quick for the uninitiated: Dutch (played by the inimitable Arnold Schwarzenegger) is recruited by Dillon (played by Carl Weathers of Rocky fame) to rescue a hostage in this Central American jungle and end up being hunted by an alien with super sniper skills. The result? A ride you'll never forget and want to keep repeating.

Obviously, this was a Schwarzenegger vehicle at the time of release since his name is on the original movie poster at the top. The dialogue was cheestastic which lines like "Stick around" after Schwarzenegger knifes somebody. Or when somebody says "I ain't got time to bleed." How ridiculous and hilarious is this? Taken out of context these lines don't make much sense but I always snicker and laugh when I hear them on the screen. I think the Honest Trailer for this movie captures the cult status and fun of this movie beautifully.

Special effects for the alien was pretty good for the eighties and film technological advances through the years have improved our extraterrestrial creatures nowadays. Nothing beats this film though because of the time period it was released in! Talk about nostalgia! Who would have thought Schwarzenegger would been the governor of California?

If you have not had the pleasure of watching all the hilarious repetition of "Get to the choppa!" then, you'll be missing out because it makes me belly laugh every time.



Comments

Popular Posts