A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Directed by: Chuck Russell

Release Date: 1987

How fitting that I review this film just as Patricia Arquette's wins for best supporting actress at the Oscars in February!


Well, for all of ya'll that don't know, this little horror film gem marks the screen debut of Patricia Arquette. As one of the decent sequels from the franchise, it's my favorite and the second film Heather Langenkamp reprises her role as Nancy.

This film ignores the second film and continues the Elm Street canon. Freddy is targeting the last children remaining from Elm Street in a mental institution. Nancy, now a grad student, has been brought in to assist these kids with their dreams. They participate in group dreaming, courtesy of Kristen (Arquette), to confirm this Freddy has been visiting all of them in their dreams. Of course, shit goes down and ya know the rest.

The film starts with a quote in red letters:
"Sleep. Those little slices of Death. How I loathe them." - Edgar Allen Poe

Fitting for the whole franchise indeed!

The reason I enjoy these films is the ridiculous and over the top dialogue that become the norm in the rest of the series. Apparently, Robert Englund ad-libbed some of his dialogue including the last line in my favorite scene below. He will always be Freddy Krueger to me and I'll never tire of these films.
Below, one of his best.


Apart from the dialogue, the pacing is quick. Within an hour, two teenagers die with the third act tightening up loose ends. Unfortunately, this is the last movie Heather Langkenkamp appears in (until the New Nightmare) due to *spoiler alert* character's demise.

I gotta say, Patricia Arquette is the best screamer I've ever encountered in a horror picture. Perhaps because she was so young at the time? She had the greatest scream in this movie.

Overall, one of my favorites in the series. If you haven't seen this movie, check it out! Trailer for you, below.





Comments

Popular Posts