It (2017) Review

Directed by: Andy Muschietti

Release Date: 2017

I've seen It this weekend. As a fan of the novel (but not of the miniseries - the most salient feature about that incarnation was Tim Curry), I was skeptical. For anyone that is familiar with the novel, they know how dark it is. They know the evil and fucked up ness about it (especially that orgy scene). I know the visual medium will always be tame to a Stephen King novel and it's a fact I've accepted. Misery, It, Salem's Lot are only three of the many works adapted to film or TV that have been tame or not memorable. Some of his non-horror stories have made great adaptations to the screen (The Green Mile, Stand by Me, The Shawshank Redemption). Regarding those categories, as a fan, I'd say It was satisfying but quite tame compared to the source material.


The story, for people that don't know, is about this evil that has lived in the fictional town of Derry, Maine (where the majority of tales take place in Stephen King novels) that preys specifically on children on their fear. Georgie Denborough is the town's first victim in 27 years that begins this new cycle for a calendar year and then comes back. Stuttering Bill Denborough with friends, Beverly, Richie, Mike, Ben, Eddie, and Stanley form the Losers Club and band together to fight this evil and save their town, for good.

The effects, the acting, the clown (Bill SkarsgĂ„rd was phenomenal) were all on point. As a horror fan, I jumped at some sounds but overall, it takes a lot more than some sound cues to make me squirm in my seat. As a fan of the novel, that third act of this novel stayed with me so long that I couldn't read anything for almost a month. This movie though? I was able to jump into other forms of media after. While the film's production did a great job at executing the evil at its core and the kids fighting it, I wasn't really scared. But it was done oh so well.

My final review: 4.5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

Popular Posts