My Bloody Valentine

image directed by: George Mihalka

release date: 1981

From the back of the DVD cover:
“Twenty years after a Valentine’s Day tragedy, a small town prepares for its annual holiday dance. When a box of candy arrives containing an eerie warning and a blood-soaked heart, the townsfolk realize that this Valentine’s Day romance is dead…and so are they.”
How clever of them, aren’t they? Having watched the remake two years ago (it was so much fun in 3D!) before even knowing the film was a remake, I was trying hard to figure out who the killer was. In the remake, there was absolutely no mistake (for me, anyway; I am familiar with the eighties movies slasher formula by now) who the killer was; I had wished my assumption was wrong but I was only proved right. In the original incarnation, I didn’t know who the person was until the very end! I was surprised and because of this change in pace, I enjoyed this flick.

The deaths were bloody but not Jason bloody or even funny like the Freddy films – but they did have the atmosphere in the realm of the first two Halloween movies but not as subtle.

Overall, this oldie holds up well enough to watch over and over again. I own the thing and can’t wait to re-discover funny and gruesome moments with friends.

Decent slasher flick – check the trailer out!


Comments

Popular Posts