Warm Bodies

Directed by: Jonathan Levine

Release Date: 2013

Adapted for the screen from the successful young adult novel of the same name, the screenplay written by Jonathan Levine (50/50, The Wackness, All the Boys Love Mandy Lane), this installment of the zombie comedy genre rivals Simon Pegg's Shaun of the Dead. The right blend of comedy, gore, and thrills worked so cleverly, that any person who loves cinema will enjoy this.



Where to start? First off, Nicholas Hoult as a zombie = hotness. Just saying. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, let's go into plot.

R informs us through some seamless and non-intrusive voice over exposition about what the world looks like now with zombies and humans. If I were reviewing this as a book, I'd say, "The voice of the narrator is so likable, funny, and strong that I kept looking forward to what else he'd say." This is how I was able to view this movie. And because I know it's based on a book, the inner dialogue is hysterical.

A few favorite quotes (out of context):
"I'm lost. (pause) I'm literally lost. I've never been to this part of the airport before."
"God we move slow."
"Fuck yeah."
"Nailed it."

The dialogue is on point, engages the audience, and never fails. Nicholas Hoult's delivery? On the nose every time.

R falls in love with his "Juliet" but what's holding them back is the fact that he is a zombie and she's a human. He can barely talk and she's afraid of him. You know, the obstacles any new relationship faces in this post zombie world. I don't want to provide any spoilers but there's where the plot begins and continues.

While watching this movie, I kept thinking of another zombie comedy I read a few years ago which was in development. The book is called Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S.G. Browne and the dialogue is as funny as this movie. According to the Internet Movie Database, this film adaption is still in development so who knows how long it'll take for the film to be made. But with the success of Warm Bodies, I'm positive making Breathers and making sure there's an audience for this new genre won't be an issue.

Overall, the zombie and comedy lovers will enjoy this film alike. What a FUN ride!








Comments

Popular Posts