Top Ten Favorite Horror Stories



my Three year anniversary!
In lieu of my blog-versary, in no particular order, I'll be naming of my favorite horror related books.


It by Stephen King
I first read this when I was in high school. This is my favorite Stephen King novel and the one that still terrifies me as an adult. Upon completion of this massive book (I had the hardcover 1,104 pages), I couldn’t read anything for a month, I was so traumatized. Stephen King’s mind is frakked up but that’s why I love his work so much!


“The Mist” by Stephen King
I never knew I could be afraid of fog until I read this story in the Skeleton Crew, a collection of short stories. Living in San Francisco does not make the fog less scarier, but more prominent.


“The Tell Tale Heart” by Edgar Allen Poe
My favorite Poe story of them all! That heartbeat underneath the floorboards? Classic!


Gerald's Game by Stephen King
Here’s the story: woman and her husband are in their weekend cabin. She’s handcuffed to the bedpost. He has a heart attack and dies. This is the first chapter of this book. What happens soon after is nothing you’d ever imagine. I have never cringed so much while reading a book until I read this one (same year I read It). This book made It appear tame. Not for the squeamish.


Carrie by Stephen King
I can read this book any time (mostly because it’s one of the shortest novels he’s written and his first) and the story never gets old. I enjoyed the way King chose to execute this tale and it’s always as potent with every reading. With the new trailer out for the remake starring Chloe Grace Moretz as Carrie, it’s fitting that this title is on my list and perhaps a re-read is in order, don’tcha think?


Blockade Billy by Stephen King
King at his best! Two short stories, “Morality,” and “Blockade Billy.” Written well and frakked up (especially “Morality”) as always.


Perfume by Patrick Suskind
One of my former book club’s picks, this story chronicles the life of an orphan who didn’t have a smell and becomes a connoisseur of scent. Let’s not forget he’s also a serial killer. I read this when I was suffering through a mild case of sinusitis and man, the act of smelling was painful (because I couldn’t) while reading this book. The descriptions were so vivid, fresh, and dazzling that if I were able to taste at the time, this book would have been delectable.


Breathers: A Zombie’s Lament by S. G. Browne
One of my first zombie novels (by first time novelist S.G. Browne) and hysterical! Resplendent Meat, Andy, zombie sex, dry erase board, social commentary on any minority group, and great one-liners, this book literally had me on the floor laughing. I have never laughed so hard while reading a novel. It was pure delight.


The Walking Dead graphic novels
Yes! My foray into graphic novels! Robert Kirkman is the man! Not to mention the TV incarnation which is also as awesome. I only look forward to more and more of this series and Kirkman’s work.


The Shining by Stephen King
I definitely favored the novel versus the Kubrick movie version because that was the Jack Nicholson show but isn’t that always the case? Most of the time the source material is better than the film or television adaptation. Old school King was in top form with this novel and it’ll always be one of my favorites.

And there you have it. My faves.

I’m sure there’s a bunch I don’t even know exist. Hit me with your suggestions. I’m open to exploring more horror fiction.

Happy Halloween!

Comments

Popular Posts