The Nightmare Before Christmas

Directed by: Henry Selick

Release Date: 1993

I was eleven years old when I had the pleasure of watching this on the big screen. Sixth grade had started for me and I was on the verge of entering my pre-teen years. Little did I know how much I would grow to enjoy this amazing delectable animation treasure spawned from the mind of none other than Tim Burton. I grew to follow Tim Burton's work but now, not so much (that's another post). Anyway, below, I'll provide the many highlights of this family horroresque picture that will forever have a place in my heart.


The first thirty minutes of this movie are by far my favorite of the whole whopping 76 minutes of its running time. I do have many favorite moments and songs.

"This is Halloween" - the first musical song of the film. What makes this song even more awesome are the two covers by Panic at the Disco and Marilyn Manson in the 2-Disc soundtrack set. They are so kick!

"What's This?" - Jack's discovery of Christmastown is dazzling, fantastical, and gorgeous with every frame. (Not to mention Fall Out Boy's rendition of the song on the soundtrack set as well.)

"The Town Meeting Song" - Jack discussing the concept of Christmas to the occupants of Halloween town and especially this line: "And they call him Sandy Claaaawss." My favorite!

"Jack's Obsession" - The beginning of this song and this line "Never says a word/Hope he hasn't died."

"Kidnap Sandy Claws" - before I heard the She Wants Revenge version, I didn't care much for this song. Somehow this band rejuvenated my joy and delight in hearing this original incarnation.

The last scene with Jack and Sally is priceless. I particularly relish the fact their kiss is seen from afar. Classic and beautiful.

A must watch for every Halloween season, this movie warms my heart every time.





Comments

Popular Posts