Battle Royale

Directed by: Kinji Fukasaku

Release Date: 2000

After watching this movie for the first time, I was supremely disturbed. I also thought the premise of this movie was vaguely familiar (think Hunger Games meets Lord of the Flies on an island...in Japanese...but much more brutal) until I watched the very end. I have yet to read Hunger Games proper but already, it's quite similar.
The story revolves around a class that is chosen to fight to the death (literally) on this island in Japan. They all wear these collars that can be activated and deactivated from the ones watching them.

Based on the comic books of the same name, this movie premiered in the theaters with much success. This film also spawned a less better liked sequel directed by the director's son.

I watched this at the beginning of 2012, New Year's Day, and it was quite a way to start the new year. At times the film was confusing and convoluted but smooths out toward the end. After a day, the film sat well with me. This disturbing picture about teenagers fighting to the death sat well with me! How crazy is that? The subversive theme regarding humanity and government resonated with me. Additionally, my affinity for violence and blood wins out every time therefore this film satisfied my prerequisites. This is nothing like The Hunger Games other than the premise; everything else diverges including execution and end result. Definitely enjoyable for horror fans alike.

Proceed with caution. This movie may offend or rile up your senses.

Check out the trailer below.

Comments

Popular Posts