"Hush" - Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Directed by: Joss Whedon

Air Date: December 14, 1999


Since it's Halloween and all, I've been watching my favorite Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes that are creepy and scary. And "Hush," is by far one of the creepiest episodes by far.


For Buffy aficionados, you know this episode is so great because of all the shit going down. Riley and Buffy aren't officially dating yet, Willow meets Tara in Wicca group, Giles' "friend" comes to town, Spike has that chip in his head and is staying with Giles, and the couple, Xander and Anya are bickering non-stop.

The beginning of the episode is foreboding; it's a dream, Buffy's dream and then we hear the song, (see lyrics above) sung by a little girl similar in the "1,2, Freddy's coming for you" melody. The face of the Gentleman appears when Buffy looks in Riley's direction.

Soon after, the atmosphere is set with a great score by Christophe Beck, when the Gentlemen enter Sunnyside in the night time.

The rest of the episode when they have to mime everything is pure Joss Whedon brilliance. I always laugh during the scene when Giles has the slides on the projector to inform the Scooby Gang that the Gentlemen are fairy tale creatures.

What still stands out every time are the Gentlemen; the makeup and their floating always disturbs me, but in a good way. I know I'll never wake up without my voice and floating men with iron like chompers hovering over me to cut out my heart but the possibility itself is just as frightening.

A Buffy favorite and a classic creepy episode. Joss Whedon wrote and directed this episode. That's why he's awesome.


Comments

Popular Posts